The Loy Norrix Class of 2021 ends with an outdoor graduation celebration

Hannah Locke, Editor in Chief

The celebration of this year’s graduating class began with a Clap-Out for seniors as they paraded throughout the school one last time at 11:30 A.M. Afterwards, seniors made their way to the bleachers of the soccer field for a celebratory luncheon alongside a few teachers. 

The official graduation ceremony began at 6 P.M. and was organized in an effort to maintain social-distancing standards. Students were assigned a time to come with their family and speeches were scattered throughout. 

Musician selections included the “National Anthem” sung by Ellie Ruben and “Raise Every Voice” which was sung by Harmony Holt. 

Following opening remarks from Principal Christopher Aguinaga, Dean Erin Anderson, who is responsible for the organization of the graduation festivities, presented the Class of 2021. 

Senior Lashley Pinto-Orozco gave the Welcome Address, Laya Houselander and Princess J’Maria Mboup were the main student speakers, and graduation was closed with a powerful piece of performance poetry by Sierra Ward during the Turning of the Tassel Ceremony.  All speakers were coached by English teacher Joe Kitzman. 

Finally, a recorded speech from superintendent Dr. Rita Raichoudhuri ended the ceremony, accepting the Class of 2021. 

The valedictorian of the class of 2021 was Kinsey Skhold and the salutatorian was Jane Heystek. Sveri May was the class advisor for class of 2021.