Loy Norrix music department returns with festive winter concert after two years

Senior drum major Matthew Gray conducts the band as they play their halftime show finale, “High Hopes” by Panic! At The Disco at the homecoming game on October 15.

Credit: Milo Turner

James Hauke, Multimedia Editor

As the year draws to a close, the Loy Norrix music department will hold one last major event to conclude 2021 for all students and families to enjoy.

Starting at 7:00 pm on December 15, Loy Norrix’ own Kasdorf auditorium will be full of the school’s choir, band, and orchestra ensembles in a performance of holiday cheer, which will be free to all who are interested.

Band director Aaron Mirakovits gives audience members an idea of what to expect from next week’s winter concert. “We are running a ‘traditional’ band, choir, and orchestra concert. Each group will be performing standard concert repertoire along with some seasonal selections.” 

The concert will be focused around festive music as the holiday season approaches, with all ensembles coming together at the end of the night for one grand number.

Mirakovits has been teaching band at Loy Norrix for five years now, which was consequently interrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“‘Virtual Band’ was not an authentic or productive experience.  It was essentially a band-aid to keep us going during the worst of the pandemic before vaccines,” said Mirakovits.

Many music programs have been largely impacted by the pandemic, forcing the person in charge of planning these concerts to either rethink social distancing or shut down the event completely. 

Mirakovits explained the current and future attitudes towards performing as an ensemble during the pandemic. 

“Due to the pandemic, we’ve had to cut back on the movement of performers and extra events. We’re hoping to slowly bring this back over the next couple years,” said Mirakovits.

Regardless of what led to this new state of concert-going, people are glad to be back in person and working with one another once again.

“One of the most fulfilling parts of my job, after making great music with young people, is watching them mature and grow into responsible young adults,” said Mirakovits. 

Over his five years here at Norrix, Mirakovits has seen some of his students grow from freshman to seniors performing in their last moments of their high school band career.

The winter concert will be one of the last moments seniors have to perform as a high school ensemble member, and will even be the first time for many underclassmen.

“I’m excited to actually have a concert for the first time in two years. Wear a mask, it’ll be great.” concluded Mirakovits.