Loy Norrix Esports Smash Bros team gears up for next season after a bitter defeat

Liam Crookston and Bjorn Nelson practice before the start of the tournament. Bjorn is the team captain, who guides the team towards victory.

Credit: Ender Ross

Ender Ross, Executive Web Editor

Loy Norrix esports teams are always ready to bring the thunder!

On Dec. 10, the Loy Norrix Esports Smash Bros Blue team, consisting of Liam Crookston, Brayton Garza, Anderson Heath and captain Bjorn Nelson battled with a variety of other teams in order to win the Michigan High School Esports Federation (MiHSEF) tournament. 

Since the team did well enough in the qualifiers, they were able to go to the in-person finals in Pinckney, Michigan. After a 2 hour drive in an official KPS van, they set up and got ready to play. 

Unfortunately, the team was eliminated in the first two rounds.

“It was a very close match,” said Bjorn Nelson after the team had been sent home. “We’ve got to keep a positive mindset, and practice some new techs.” 

Nelson is a sophomore, so he’s got two more years to win glory for Loy Norrix. 

“I’m disappointed in myself, a little bit,” Nelson said. “But I’ll be going back next year with hopefully more skill. I think I’m going to make Joker my main thing, Pikachu is there, but he’s not the end all be all anymore.” 

Joker is one of the characters in the “Smash Bros” roster, which included such Nintendo favorites like “Samus,” “Pip”, “Minecraft Steve” and “Link.” The game itself is a 2-D fighting game, with hundreds of combos and attacks to master. 

The Loy Norrix Esports Club will be starting their winter season in a few weeks, which will include the games “Rocket League,” “Smite” and “Overwatch.” Anybody interested in these games should reach out to Brandon Wood at [email protected] or check out the website here.