Don’t catch senioritis

Credit: Jeanie Gould-McElhone

Senior Maggie Grabemeyer takes a nap during class. As a senior, she’s finding it harder and harder to stay awake.

Jeanie Gould-McElhone, Arts and Entertainment Editor

The finish line is in sight! As graduation approaches, a “condition” referred to as senioritis is beginning to hit the class of 2020. 

It’s hard to stay focused and motivated in school, especially as college acceptance letters start rolling in. Senioritis is a decline of motivation and effort by high school seniors as evidenced by tardiness, absences, and lower grades. So how do we fight this lack of motivation?

Well, first of all, don’t forget that your grades still matter. You may have already been accepted into your dream school, but colleges and universities look at your final grades and if they see a big drop in your performance, they will question whether or not you are ready or prepared for college. 

Consequences of this are being put on probation, reducing financial aid, or even taking away their offer completely. 

“Senioritis has been really tough to deal with because I don’t wanna be here anymore, and I feel like if I’m passing my classes then there’s no reason to show up, but I need to motivate myself to show up everyday,” said Loy Norrix senior Maggie Grabemeyer.  

Setting attainable goals may also help this process. Make a list of what you want to achieve during your last few months of high school. Make sure that these goals are realistic for you; they don’t have to be anything major. It’s just a useful way to stay motivated and to keep your eyes on the prize: graduation. 

While you are setting goals for the rest of the year, start thinking about your final college decision if you haven’t already, and start seeing yourself as a college student in training.

As you are setting goals, don’t forget to stay involved. Join new clubs, go to sports games and school dances. Enjoy your last year of high school while still keeping up your grades. 

To help you stay on task with school work, give yourself awards for finishing homework or studying for a test. For example, after studying for thirty minutes, text a friend or go out to eat. It’s important to just take it one day at a time and be proud of yourself for making it.