Nail polish can be androgynous accessory

Jack Fergusson in his Halloween costume for 2019, an eboy clown. While showing off the book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo.

Credit: Kathy Fergusson

Jack Fergusson in his Halloween costume for 2019, an eboy clown. While showing off the book “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up” by Marie Kondo.

Lily Stickley, Feature Editor

Nail polish has been around for a very long time, originating in China in 6000 B.C. Traditionally it has been used by a mainly female audience; however, it is now becoming popular among people of all genders. 

Men wearing nail polish really started to appear in mainstream media around 2015, when famous people such as Jared Leto, Brad Pitt, and Zac Efron began using polish to decorate their fingernails.

Men and non-binary people should not be judged or stigmatized for wearing nail polish. 

In an interview with Allure Travis McElroy said, “‘It becomes a very meditative moment where it’s like I’m doing something because I want to for myself.’” McElroy is a podcast host and author who often wears nail polish. 

Around Loy Norrix, more and more students who identify as male can be seen wearing nail polish, whether on social media or in the virtual classroom. Students like seniors Jack Fergusson and Jonathon Gruber have been wearing nail polish for a while and enjoy it. 

Jonathan Gruber shows of his nail polish to the camera. (Photo by Jonathan Gruber)

“I was also really scared of being judged because of this [wearing nail polish], that I scraped it off the next day,” Fergusson explained of his first time wearing it. 

Fear of judgement was something that unfortunately came accessorizing with nail polish. 

“I was in constant fear of being judged for it and would often try to hide my hands in public situations,” Fergusson said. 

With its diverse population and acceptance of free-expression, Loy Norrix happens to have a very supportive community, especially when it comes to people doing things that often would be considered out of place, in a lot of places.

“Personally, I haven’t felt anything negative from the community,” said Gruber.

“So far I’ve gotten a lot of support for it [wearing nail polish], but I do go to Norrix, which is a very accepting place,” Fergusson said. 

People in the community often inspire others to also get involved. Gruber said, “About a year ago was when I first wore nail polish, my friend Jack inspired me to wear it.” 

When Gruber first started wearing nail polish “My friend Alex helped me with putting it on,” said Gruber. Furgesson said “my friends had put it on for me before, but when I first actively started wearing it, I did it myself.”

When nail polish first began becoming popular among people who identity as male or non-binary, most people would wear black nail polish. People can see the black nail polish as a simple addition to an outfit. 

“I usually go for black because it goes with everything,” Gruber said.

Like a lot of things, you don’t always enjoy it on your first try. For some it is because of how long the nail polish takes to dry. For others it can be the anxiety of being judged for wearing nail polish. 

“I use Sally Hansen Insta-Dri for my black nail polish,” said Fergusson. 

“The time that caused me to want to wear it often was when my good friend offered to paint my nails black for a Halloween costume,” said Fergusson, “I started wearing nail polish consistently after.”

Nail polish belongs to everyone, no matter what gender you identify as. Do not let people tell you differently.