President Biden set to go to Pfizer plant in Portage, Michigan on Friday

Credit: Patrick Semansky

President Biden waving as he leaves the Holy Trinity Catholic Church on Sunday, Jan. 24, 2021. On February 19th, Biden will be touring the Pfizer plant in Portage, Michigan

Lily Stickley, Feature Editor

President Joe Biden was set to visit the Pfizer plant in Portage, Michigan on Thursday, February 18. His visit was postponed to Friday, February 19 because of a snow storm.
The last time President Biden came to the Kalamazoo area was back in 2009 where he spoke on the football field of Loy Norrix High School. He came to Kalamazoo to speak about “The widening of the I-94 and Westnedge Avenue interchange reconstruction project,” according to the article Vice president makes stop in Kalamazoo, published in the Western Herald.
This change to the interchange was the 2000th construction project funded by former President Obama’s Recovery Act.
This visit, however, is not to discuss the widening of any streets or highways. This visit is to tour one of Pfizer’s Portage plants, which is the largest production facility for their COVID-19 vaccine. The first vaccines left the facility on December 13 and continue to be distributed all over the country.
Biden is flying into the Kalamazoo-Battle Creek International Airport. He is then traveling down Portage Road to Pfizer to be given a tour of the facility.
Knight Life tried to obtain press passes from the White House for this event; however, due to COVID protocols/guidelines passes were not available.