Diverse Knights Unite: Students and staff appreciate the diversity at Norrix and come together as a whole

Credit: Nia Moncrief

Junior Micah Johnson talks with his friends at the lunch table. Lunch is one of the many places where students interact and connect with one another.

Alize-Juada Gonzalez, Guest Writer

The Knights rise and unite, seeing people for who they are within, not for race or style!

Loy Norrix is made up of students from different backgrounds. According to US News, 59.0% minorities and 41.0% white students attend LN.

The healthy environment Norrix has created comes from the student body coming together to organize ideas for representation of the many cultures and races that make up the school: Black history month recognition for all of February, school dances, rallies and more. All of these show appreciation for the people in our school. 

“We all find ways to come together and learn about each other’s backgrounds and beliefs. I myself am always open and interested in hearing people’s stories,” said senior Quinton Lesley, who has attended Norrix since his freshman year. 

The Knight community grows as the people learn to expand, everyone is granted the opportunity to explore the resources LN provides.

“You get to create different connections and relationships with people. A lot of my friendships were formed based off of us putting aside our differences and realizing we are more alike than different,” said Lesley. 

Students are known for their embracement of race, religion and culture. With the right to freely create friendships with whoever they’d like, diversity is now so normalized that the students pay little attention to the physical differences of their peers. 

“I stick with the athletes majority of the time. This is my senior year, and I do appreciate the diversity of LN, but I no longer pay too much attention to it: it’s very normal for us all now. I feel as though Norrix did a good job at establishing that,” said Lesley.

Diversity within our school is seen everywhere: in classrooms, hallways and assemblies. The teachers experience it firsthand as well. French teacher Rachel Larner has been teaching here for eleven years and expresses that she has experienced many changes through the school.

“Since the pandemic, us teachers don’t have many gatherings outside of work. It’s more of an inside school and wing-by-wing interaction with teachers. It’s more likely for me to hang with a teacher I’ve known longer and in the same wing as I am rather than being based off of someone’s race or background,”  said Larner.

From a student’s viewpoint, teacher-to-teacher interaction is not often witnessed, but it depends on how personal teachers are with their students.  Teachers are very diverse in their own ways of teaching and sharing information. Some choose to share while others don’t. 

“It’s a pretty individual thing for each person,” said Larner. “It depends on their personality and the connection with each student individually: it isn’t just about race or style.”

LNHS is more than race, background and style. Students and staff judge the heart and personality of an individual instead.