Juniors work hard to prepare themselves for senior year

Credit: Nia Moncrief

Economics teacher Ryan Allen and junior Marcell Bell discuss classwork in Economics class. Allen primarily teaches upperclassmen and has experience helping students who are preparing for life after high school.

Nia Moncrief, Multimedia Editor

Like Jenna Hamilton of the TV show “Awkward” says, “Junior year is like the Thursday night of high school. The beginning of the end.”

Being a junior means that in your third year of high school, you are preparing for college and  you’re carrying the burden of getting prepared for life after high school, whether that means going to college or getting a job. 

Junior year is, as most would say, one of the most important years of high school. This single year really depends on how you make it and the experiences you go through can shape you as a person. 

“I think junior year depends on your personal experience. You make it what you want it to be. Some things are uncontrollable, but I think it’s how you deal with it,” said junior Chloe Hanks.

When thinking about college, you have to think about your GPA and how it can impact your entry into college. According to Best Colleges, students must maintain a minimum GPA for federal financial aid eligibility and having a 3.5 GPA or higher can qualify you for honors programs, and you can become eligible for merit scholarships.

“Managing your GPA, junior year is your most important year, and staying on top of your grades,” said junior Alize Gonzalez. 

Many students feel a disconnection from school and themselves because of the pressure to get good grades, and need help moving on to the next level. Students need the support from teachers or any adult in their life to push them. 

Connection between students and teachers is important. It creates a relationship that is supportive, not dependent. It helps to talk to an adult that can guide you through the changes to come.

“A teacher to student relationship is important because it allows the student to be more comfortable with the material and whomever is teaching it. It encourages the desire to learn,” said Hanks. 

Students are never really prepared for their next step in life. It comes to a point where you have to ask yourself “What is the next step?” Considering the number of students trying to answer this question, some may never actually know the answer or what really prepares you for life after high school or even college.

“The biggest concern I had was trying to figure out what I was going to do. I didn’t know if I wanted to go to college: I didn’t know what college. What made it hard was I didn’t know what I wanted to do specifically,” said Ryan Allen, government and economics teacher at Loy Norrix High School, relating back to his time in high school.

Not having a plan doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t succeed, it means you are undecided on what you’re going to succeed in. 

Motivation, for most, is what pushes students through high school. Being motivated to complete classwork while balancing family, friends, and other activities can cause a lot of stress.

“I would hope that they are getting motivation, to find self-worth, to know that if they put hard work into something good things come out of that,” said Allen, in hopes for his students following their journey through high school and beyond.

Overall, a lot of stress comes with the various pressures of junior year and preparing for next steps can be intimidating. However, by staying on top of your work and getting support where you can, your future becomes more attainable.