Tower Talk: Should there be an American flag in every public school classroom and should students be compelled to say the Pledge of Allegiance?

Junior Kaitlyn Albertson learns how to write light cues for a song of her choice. Albertson chooses which lights she wants to turn on at what time.
The technical theater club is open to newcomers
Olivia Nitz, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024

When watching a production, we tend to focus on the actors onstage. We don't usually consider who is shining the spotlight on the main character...

Daniel Ewing, Carter Pickett, Alexander Velo, and Finn BankstonApril 26, 2024

Students work part-time to gain skills and to improve their finances

Loy Norrix senior Eduardo Ricardo poses for a photo. Ricardo works part time at Ritsema Industries through the CTE work-based learning program. (Credit: Lori Pelton )

For some students, working a part-time job while going to high school sounds like the perfect way to make money. Other students, however, are hesitant towards the idea. 

According to Zippia the Career Expert, six million teens between the ages of 16 and 19 have jobs. 

There are many reasons that high school students may or may not have a job. One of the benefits of having a job while in high school is that students tend to gain many positive skills at part-time jobs. 

“They learn how to be a good employee, how to balance responsibilities, and gain skills that will be helpful in their careers,” said Lori Pelton, Loy Norrix’s coordinator for CTE work-based learning.

The CTE work-based learning program is a program where students can earn credits toward graduation by working and getting paid for it. Twelve students currently participate in this program, and it is well received.

One of the students in the program, senior Eduardo Ricardo, works at Ritsema Industries. Ricardo handles drywall and other tasks the company needs done. 

“It’s fun, just working a lot with my hands and the environment,” said Ricardo. 

Some students prioritize their jobs more than others because of the reason they have those jobs. A person who has a job because they are saving up for a car, for example, would prioritize their job more than someone just looking for extra spending money.

“Everyone has their individual priorities. They like having financial freedom,” says Learner.

Although students like Ricardo enjoy working during school, one of the downsides is the stress it can cause and the amount of time they can take up. While a job may bring many positive benefits, the time commitment and expectations can be unmanageable for some students, which can lead to them missing out on other things in high school.

“Some students really enjoy their jobs, but they can compromise some of the other activities they may do in high school,” said Learner.

Although Ricardo experiences a lot of stress from the combination of school and work, he has found solutions to combat that stress. 

“I like to use music a lot. I used to meditate and realized stress is only a mental thing, and anxiety is only stressful because you make it,” said Ricardo.

Through CTEs and other job opportunities, students gain key skills, such as reporting to work on time, as well as problem-solving and teamwork. Working during high school can also help students learn about which careers may be right for them in the future.