Knights of the Round Table Podcast #3: Musician
Daniel Ewing, Carter Pickett, Alexander Velo, and Finn BankstonApril 26, 2024

Team manager Fletcher gives the signal to start the dives from the diving board and gives tips to the divers.  Sometimes he holds a bar for the swimmers to dive over.
High number of underclassmen show promise after a successful season for the men's swim and dive team
Flora Harper and Alexander VeloApril 25, 2024

The 2023-24 men's swim team is a great example of what teamwork and determination can create. Although more than half the team members were...

Personal finance teacher Dyami Hernandez helps his second hour class choose classes for next year. Before selecting what classes they want, students have to check what credits they have first.
Students want new, more relevant classes
Lexi Tuley, Graphics Editor • April 24, 2024

It’s Monday morning. You’re sitting in your first hour on the brink of falling asleep. The teacher is droning on about geometry, and you...

Hard work helps a student to graduate early

As a young, simple minded 14 year old, I did not expect to graduate at the ripe age of 17, a whole year before the rest of my classmates. I started the 2023-24 school year as a junior. I became a senior later in the year when I got enough credits from the first trimester to graduate high school a year early.
I worked hard during the first trimester doing homework and studying to get the 18.5 credits I needed to become a senior. When final exams rolled around, I was on my A-game and passed all of my classes.
When I was presented with this opportunity to graduate early by counselor Rebecca Learner, she was looking at my transcript and then told me I had enough credits to graduate and be considered a senior, so I decided to take it. I thought about all of the things that I could do once I was out of high school.
I could start college early, which would put me a step closer to my degree. I could also get a job without the limited hours that a high school student has. By starting college early, I could meet new people who have the same goals, which would challenge me to work harder not just in school, but in looking for jobs to support me in this journey.
Even though I am excited about the opportunity to graduate early, I’m sad that I won’t get to spend time with my friends or have more experiences with my twin brother, Connor Nuyen. I do realize I will miss sports games, sitting together at lunch and seeing each other in the hallways.
Interacting with my brother during the school day always gave me something to look forward to, even on exhausting days. I wonder what it will be like being in a new school without him.
Now that I am a senior, I’m more focused on my schoolwork than I am on hanging out with my high school friends or making new ones because there are only five months left.
I’m grateful for what my friends and I have gone through, and I wouldn’t change anything about it. Going to school events, hanging out after school and sitting together at lunch are all things I will miss doing with them.
This is my last year doing anything fun at high school like attending dances which includes advertising the dance, selling the tickets, managing the ticket sales at all three lunches and staying after to decorate the cafeteria. It also means I will no longer be participating in clubs, like Book Club and Executive Board. Looking back on these memories, I’m glad that I had the opportunities to be involved. Back in middle school, I never had a chance to go to clubs or dances, so these experiences feel surreal.
Heading into this new chapter in my life, I know I will miss the fun I had, but I also know that sooner or later I will get to have fun by doing activities and going to parties in college.
I’m looking forward to prom, crossing the stage at graduation, Grad Bash and not having homework until I begin college.
The biggest day of my life will be waiting to hear my name and walk across the stage toward the Principal, Assistant Principals, Superintendent, Dean of Students and all of the school board members that will be standing there to shake my hand.
It is a little nerve-wracking to graduate with the class of 2024. It is scary because I won’t know anyone who is graduating with me. However, it will be exciting to start a new chapter toward my future.
I plan to look for a job that will set me on the path for child psychology, but in the meanwhile, I will go to Kalamazoo Valley Community College for 2 years then transfer to Western Michigan University.