As students walk the halls on their way to their classes, theyre reminded that there are staff who are safe to tell. If they are experiencing abuse, harassment, mental health declines or other struggles, they can reach out to the teachers who have these teal ribbons displayed in their classrooms.
If you’re being harassed, look around for the Safe2Tell stickers
Grace Lovely, Guest Writer • June 8, 2024

You were sitting in class, getting ready for the test that you were about to take. You felt something on your arm, but you brushed it off. It...

Its the last week of school, and Saul Quintero and Anderson Flores Aguilar are glad. Together, they study for their final exam in English so that they can finish it on time.
Foreign exchange students experience fewer school restrictions in the United States
Ashley Lopez, Guest Writer • June 8, 2024

Imagine stepping into another country where the cultural tradition, education system and even daily life are different from what you were used...

From helpful to harmful: AI’s interference in the classroom
Alexander Velo and Finn BankstonJune 8, 2024

Since the dawn of technology, the concept of Artificial Intelligence (AI) has intrigued the technology and science community. It started with...

Students and teachers combat stress at the gym

Credit: Cavan Helms
Sophomore Joshua Bello at the YMCA working out after school to release some stress that was built up throughout the day.

Balance out the heavy stress by moving some heavy weights. Working out in the gym is a complete mental detox from the built up stress of school.

When it’s you versus you, the only thoughts in your brain are the gym. For an hour of the day, all of the built up stress gets flushed out. By the time you leave the gym, you’ll have built up the confidence to take on and conquer anything in life. 

It’s not just a confidence booster, working out can guarantee you a long, healthy lifestyle. According to the CDC, working out has multiple benefits:it can reduce the risk of disease, safely manage your weight, strengthen your muscles and bones, and most importantly, allow you to easily complete day to day activities. 

English teacher Brianna English expresses the importance of how working out ensures her peace at mind.

“Overall, just being healthier and feeling better helps alleviate some stress from work,” said English. “I can go on hikes and run around with my niece and nephew and enjoy being outside without worrying about whether. I can physically handle those activities. I also would like to live a long life, so that’s another benefit too.”

As working out can allow you to safely enjoy more time with family and friends, it can also be an outlet from some of the stress and work that can come from them. 

Science teacher, Eric David, explains how working out allows him to receive a mental detox.

“My favorite benefits from working out are that I get time for myself. Being a teacher and a parent of three kids, I am constantly interacting with other people and that can get exhausting,” said David. “Working out allows me to be in my own mind and think without constant distractions.” 

Physics teacher Peter Rose, has expressed that he started working out later in his life, and wished he began sooner. 

“I didn’t start lifting until I was almost 40, and I wish I had started earlier.  You’re not in the gym to compete against anyone except yourself. Trust me, ‘old you’ will appreciate the work you put in today,” said Rose.

Throughout the years, working out has developed to be more universal and open to all ages. From CNN, Planet Fitness is opening up their gym for free to teenagers all across the nation during summer, which is playing a huge role for the expansion of the gym community.

The recent growth of the gym community is not only leading to more teenagers in the gym but these teenagers are becoming better versions of themselves. Sophomore Joshua Bello explains that while he works out, he takes in benefits that can leave long-term effects.

“After my workout, I feel a sense of accomplishment. The fact that I committed to something and getting it done is a great feeling that I can carry on, which creates a landslide effect of me staying disciplined every day,” said Bello.

The gym community is also very supportive and can help new lifters feel welcomed. Most new lifters are taken by surprise when learning this, as the gym can be mistaken as a testosterone-fueled, aggressive place.

“One of my favorite things about the gym community is that everyone is very supportive. It doesn’t matter if you’re just starting or ten years into working out,” said Bello.

These benefits, however, will decrease the older you get, so it is better to start off in the gym as soon as possible. 

“Don’t start working out next Monday or this weekend. Start now and build the routine,” said Bello.