President Isabella Essink and Treasurer Ella Stangl look over the agenda for an NHS meeting. The club meets biweekly to go over events and volunteer opportunities.
Young women involved in civic engagement and leadership face pressure to outperform
Lucy Langerveld, Staff Writer • April 16, 2024

2023 was dubbed by mainstream media as the “Year of The Girl”: the "Barbie" movie dominated movie theaters and powerhouse pop artists like...

Sophomore Z Freed conducts blood tests in science class.  Freed finds that doodling on herself or her papers for schools helps her to stay focused and understand the material better.
Teens use art to express their emotions and feelings
Faye Radley, Guest Writer • April 15, 2024

It was the middle a weekend afternoon and Torin Radley, a teenage artist, was excited about making a new "Dungeons and Dragons" character. Radley...

The Hype for Spring Break

Photo from http://www.signaturevacations.com/Cancun/Hotels/Riu-Caribe.aspA picture of the Riu Caribe hotel in Cancun
Photo from http://www.signaturevacations.com/Cancun/Hotels/Riu-Caribe.asp
A picture of the Riu Caribe hotel in Cancun. A group of students will be staying there over Spring break.

What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of Spring break?

It could be some down time to withdrawal from your daily stresses, get away from all those demanding responsibilities and get some much needed meditation and relaxation time near a reclusive beach…or may be you could be thinking of an escape from regular day to day routines to socialize, party, and get wild at a captivating destination that offers some fun in the sun. Cancun, Miami, California, or maybe even Pueerrrtoo Riccooo! Whoo. That getcha pumped yet?

Carpe Diem, seize the day! The Roman poet who coined this inspirational phrase didn’t intend to relay a constructive modus operandi (m.o.), but truly just meant to live while you’re still young and have a blast. Many full time students (high school and college) may take this quote to heart as a decree to live by during spring break.

Considering it’s the class of 2013’s last year at Loy Norrix high school, it’ll be the final hurrah for this year’s seniors to live it up with close friends before leaving for college next fall. From the looks of one group of compadres’ itinerary, these Loy Norrix seniors will most certainly be utilizing “Carpe Diem” to the fullest this spring break.

Seniors Victor Frost, Amelia Leibold, Jessica Lethiot, Audrey Myers, Robert Nizzardini, Erin Romph, Noelle Scott, and Corinne Swarthout plan to stay at the Riu Caribe resort in Cancun, Mexico, with several of their parents in tow of the company for supervision.

Looking out for his best bud, Victor Frost, Robert Nizzardini (more simply known as Nick) bails on former plans he made for a “bro road trip” to Colorado with some friends over the vacation. In submission to accompany Frost, Nizzardini somewhat reluctantly joins the band of thrilled seniors in hot pursuit of paradise.

Revealing some hesitation when referencing the profuse abundance of violence in Mexico, Nizzardini would rather be safe than sorry when it comes to “discovering the native way of life”. Nizzardini relays that many of the girls in the group intend to explore the “exotic environment” (more like the tourist-besieged society of Cancun) and check out the night-timing scene; he himself intends to remain within the secure confines of the resort, Riu Caribe.

Riu Caribe, Cancun Resort offers all-inclusive assorted water sporting equipment like windsurfing catamarans, canoes, instructed scuba diving classes and snorkeling gear.

Mia Leibold enthusiastically exclaims that Cancun is “the hottest spring break destination!”