Knights of the Round Table Podcast #3: Musician
Daniel Ewing, Carter Pickett, Alexander Velo, and Finn Bankston April 26, 2024

Team manager Fletcher gives the signal to start the dives from the diving board and gives tips to the divers.  Sometimes he holds a bar for the swimmers to dive over.
High number of underclassmen show promise after a successful season for the men's swim and dive team
Flora Harper and Alexander Velo April 25, 2024

The 2023-24 men's swim team is a great example of what teamwork and determination can create. Although more than half the team members were...

Personal finance teacher Dyami Hernandez helps his second hour class choose classes for next year. Before selecting what classes they want, students have to check what credits they have first.
Students want new, more relevant classes
Lexi Tuley, Graphics Editor • April 24, 2024

It’s Monday morning. You’re sitting in your first hour on the brink of falling asleep. The teacher is droning on about geometry, and you...

Theater and Dance Change the Lives of Loy Norrix Students

Photo by Marcus Boydsophomore Melanie Michelle, senior Tyrell Wilks-Williams, senior Raven Vanderbuilt, and sophomore Maryam Muhammad practicing there skit for there drama 2 performance. Tyrell is bring out his inner Nicki Minaj.
Photo by Marcus Boyd
Sophomore Melanie Michelle, senior Tyrell Wilks-Williams, senior Raven Vanderbuilt, and sophomore Maryam Muhammad practicing their skit for the Drama 2 performance. Tyrell is bringing out his inner Nicki Minaj.

“Acting changed my life by showing me that there’s something I’m really good at,” said senior Tyrell Wilks-Williams.

When Williams first came to Norrix he liked drama, but he did not really want to be an actor until he did the plays “I Never saw another Butterfly” and “Annie”.

“Being in ‘Annie’ and ‘I Never Saw another Butterfly’ showed me the many different roles an actor can have. It showed me that I can always be and do better with me acting,” said Wilks-Williams.

In middle school he did plays and musicals, but they were not good experiences because it was unorganized and the people in charge did not know much about musicals and plays.

“I like acting because it puts me out there on the stage and it allows me to show who I really am,” said Wilks-Williams.

Williams plan is to go to American Musical and Dramatic Academy his audition is on March 3 2013. American Music and Dramatic Academy is a college for the arts. They have two campus locations one in New York and the other in L.A.

“I want to be one of the best. I want to take acting and make me a good life,” said Wilks-Williams.

Williams started acting in fourth grade when his after school program put on a show of improv skits.

Being on stage isn’t the only form of art. There are many others such as dancing.

Senior Dasan Mitchell loves to dance. It allows him to express himself. Mitchell has been dancing for six years.

“My mother and cousin joined a West African dance group and I joined after and have been dancing west African ever since.”

Mitchell is going to school to be a dancer. His audition for Western Michigan University’s dance program was on February 22 2013 and he was very nervous.

Mitchell prepared for this audition by tacking polities before his audition. He also trained Monday and Wednesday from 4 to 5 p.m., then 10 to 11:30 p.m. for jazz. On Sundays Mitchell trained for ballet from 2:45 to 4:00 p.m.

“I want to choreograph, teach, and implement traditional dance in school,” said Mitchell.