Former Immigrant, Oscar Garcia living his day to day life. Garcia first immigrated to America in 1986.
Immigrant families face hardships when relocating
Lizzy Garcia, Guest Writer • April 19, 2024

In life, a handful of people are faced with making the decision of moving. Whether it be moving for job or education opportunities, a move like...

Tower Talk: What classes are you looking forward to next year?
Finn Bankston, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024

Student of The Month Awards Handed Out For The First Time

The Student Of The Month honors for September went out to eight very deserving Loy Norrix students, and one very deserving staff member. Emma Carnell, Maria Garcia, Sarah Giramia, Felicie Jones, Alexis Martin, Josephine Finley, Stacia Fields, Grace Erway, Brandi Greig, and Tahtianna Cunningham were all nominated by their teachers for student of the month. Jason French, a freshman social studies teacher, took home staff member of the month. The staff nominee was selected at random at one of the staff meetings.  Staff member of the month applies to not just teachers, but security guards, janitors, and kitchen staff.
All of the recipients were gathered in the Loy Norrix conference room for breakfast with principal Rodney Prewitt and assistant principal Kelly Hinga, along with a quick award ceremony to honor all of the nominees.
Prewitt said “We want to motivate students to be better role models, and to be better Knights.” Any teacher can nominate any student for the award, and any student can nominate any staff member.
Grace Erway, the Nominee from the Excalibur Team in the freshmen academy said “Being student of the month means you have to work hard on a daily basis, and now it motivates me to work even harder”.
The administrators of Loy Norrix are hoping that this program grows much larger, as these students are the first to ever receive student of the month honors at Loy Norrix.
French, the staff member of the month said that it was “good to be recognized by a student and know that you’re making a difference”.
The student of the month program aims to recognize student and their academic accomplishments, and to not let them go un-noticed. Sometimes it may seem that the not so bright spots are focused on by the community, and the student of the month programs goal is to highlight bright spots of Loy Norrix, and the bright spots of the student body. Loy Norrix really is a great, diverse society of people who aim to make a difference, and that is why the student of the month program exists.
student of the month