(Photo Illustration) A student drives her car while talking to someone on the phone. This violates Kelsey’s Law which prohibits drivers from using their cell phone while driving.
Scholarship rewards $5,000 to high school students for bringing awareness to distracted teen driving
Sophia Wrzesinski and Flora HarperMarch 21, 2024

The Kelsey’s Law scholarship is open for submissions until Mar. 31. Hosted by the Michigan Auto Law, the scholarship awards a total of $5,000...

What are Your Spring Break Plans?
What are Your Spring Break Plans?
Isaac Atkinson and Stan ThomasMarch 21, 2024

Red Cross Supervisor Cindy Vandermeer prepares Teya Dawson for her blood donation. Dawson was a first-time donor.
NHS hosts a successful blood drive, saving lives in and out of the community
Isabella Figueroa, Chief Copy Editor • March 21, 2024

“My dad and my mom both needed blood products when they were still living, so it's just really important to me so that the blood stays local,”...

Loy Norrix Students Protest Police Brutality Against Young Black Males

Ferguson picture1
Loy Norrix students protest the murder of young, African American males. They reenact the death of Mike Brown by lying on the ground as if dead for 4 1/2 minutes. Photo Credit / Caitlin Commissaris

Walking into the Loy Norrix cafeteria on the morning of December 4th was not like any other this year. There was a group of thirty to forty students lying motionless on the ground, wearing the face of the dead. They remained silent for exactly four and a half minutes to symbolize the four and a half hours that Mike Brown was left dead on the streets of Ferguson, Missouri. At the end of the “Die-In” students started to chant, “Hands up, don’t shoot!”
This protest is referred to as a Die-In, in which the participants basically lay on the ground as if dead. This protest was planned to coincide with nation-wide protests following the killing of Eric Garner.
Garner was a resident of New York; he was illegally selling cigarettes on the street corner and did not stop when police asked him to. Backup was called in and Garner was put in a chokehold. He kept repeating, “I can’t breathe.” Garner was then taken to the hospital where he first fell into acoma and then passed away.
“I hope people will begin to realize that racism is still a huge issue. I encourage students to actually look into the details behind these killings because the media does not provide all of the information,” said senior Gabe Wikle, who helped plan the Die-In.
Racial profiling seems to be a huge issue in today’s society.
“I’m actually really surprised at how many people participated in the die-in because I got the idea last night at 10 p.m., so I didn’t think it would be as successful as it was,” said Wikle.
It is an amazing moment when students come together to speak out against what they believe is unjust.

View Comments (9)