The forensics team mascot Loy enjoys Marquette Park after a successful tournament.  This plushie joins the Forensics Team in all of their tournaments throughout the season and has become a valuable member of the team.
Go goose: Forensics Team takes flight to Mackinac Island’s tournament
Josephine Velo and Amelia Wood May 28, 2024

On Friday, May 17, the Forensics Team piled onto the Mackinac ferry and said goodbye to the mainland. The fancy Grand Hotel, fudge and a...

A sign promotes a garage sale in the Westnedge Hill neighborhood. On Saturday, there were many signs around town promoting the sale.
The Westnedge Hill Neighborhood garage sales bring the community together in one special day
Rosie Hill and Alice Damashek May 28, 2024

Connecting with neighbors and spending time outside can be difficult nowadays. Weather, lack of neighborhood activities, construction, the growth...

Loy Norrix Athletic Director Andrew Laboe sends 10 Knights off to college at the annual signing day event.
Loy Norrix Athletics congratulates seniors playing sports in college
Ethan Williams and Max Berlin May 24, 2024

Students Depend on Caffeine to Function in School

Junior Alex Lutz sits in his AP Government trying to pay attention to a powerpoint. Like many students Lutz drinks coffee in order to stay awake and stay focused in class.  Photo Credit / Hannah Stempky
Junior Alex Lutz sits in his AP Government trying to pay attention to a powerpoint. Like many students Lutz drinks coffee in order to stay awake and stay focused in class. Photo Credit / Hannah Stempky

Waking up early for school is hard. Whether you are up all night to study, for work, or just to watch your favorite television show that comes on at 11:00 p.m, waking up the next morning is next to impossible.
To cope with exhaustion, students have a couple of possible solutions. The obvious solution is sleeping more, but since many high schoolers have demanding, time-consuming schedules, this is not an option. Instead, students are turning to a drug; caffeine. Many students are starting their mornings with a hot cup of coffee to counteract their late-night routines.
“The workload of students definitely promotes dependence on caffeine,” Senior Emily Worline continued, “I drink coffee because my work is completed at a faster pace, and it enables me to remain awake during the day if I stay up late at night.“
According to TIME Inc., It can take up to as little as 100 milligrams of caffeine daily to get an adult hooked. Considering caffeine is a drug this dependence on coffee can be viewed as a negative thing.
“Studying is done more efficiently with caffeine, but it’s a bad habit to depend on it and thats why I want to quit, ” Worline said,
Despite Worline’s aspirations to shake this habit, it’s not as easy as it seems. Withdrawing from caffeine after being dependent can cause unpleasant symptoms of lethargy, headaches, and irritability. Yet, drinking too much coffee can also create undesirable side effects.
“It can make me extra talkative and, depending on how much I drink, make it harder to focus, but drinking coffee also really helps me when I need more energy.”
Although coffee contains addictive properties, succombing to these addictions is socially acceptable in most settings. With Starbucks and other coffee shops on just about every street, coffee has become a drink of close necessity to help assist many to keep up with the chaos of life throughout the rest of their life.