The forensics team mascot Loy enjoys Marquette Park after a successful tournament.  This plushie joins the Forensics Team in all of their tournaments throughout the season and has become a valuable member of the team.
Go goose: Forensics Team takes flight to Mackinac Island’s tournament
Josephine Velo and Amelia Wood May 28, 2024

On Friday, May 17, the Forensics Team piled onto the Mackinac ferry and said goodbye to the mainland. The fancy Grand Hotel, fudge and a...

A sign promotes a garage sale in the Westnedge Hill neighborhood. On Saturday, there were many signs around town promoting the sale.
The Westnedge Hill Neighborhood garage sales bring the community together in one special day
Rosie Hill and Alice Damashek May 28, 2024

Connecting with neighbors and spending time outside can be difficult nowadays. Weather, lack of neighborhood activities, construction, the growth...

Loy Norrix Athletic Director Andrew Laboe sends 10 Knights off to college at the annual signing day event.
Loy Norrix Athletics congratulates seniors playing sports in college
Ethan Williams and Max Berlin May 24, 2024

The Book of Mormon's Gabe Gibbs visits Loy Norrix Drama Students

In a recent review in Loy Norrix Knight Life, Rachel Zook called the Broadway musical, “The Book of Mormon,” “shocking, offensive, and wonderful.”
On Friday, October 21st the Loy Norrix drama students were visited by special guest, Gabe Gibbs. Gibbs is currently playing Elder Price in the second national tour of “The Book of Mormon.” Gibbs was born in Muskegon, MI but later moved to Rochester where he met Paige O’Shea, the Loy Norrix drama teacher. O’Shea asked Gibbs to come talk to her students as a professional actor, give them advice and answer questions they had.
“My biggest take away from what Gabe said is to just be yourself. If acting and singing is something you want to do just go for it. If it doesn’t work out then try something else, but if it’s something you love you’ll find a way to do it,” said Loy Norrix junior Grace Erway.
Erway has played roles in two shows at Loy Norrix, Penelope Pennywise in “Urinetown”, and Rosie Alvarez in “Bye Bye Birdie”.
Gibbs went to Emerson College in Boston, MA where he studied musical theater and later switched his major to acting. After graduation, Gibbs moved to Los Angeles to pursue acting in film, television, commercials, and theater.
Towards the end of his visit, one student asked Gibbs what his biggest piece of advice for students was.
“It’s so much more about working hard and showing up and being kind. There will be people that are better than you but people [in the acting industry] want to work with nice people,” said Gibbs.
“I found Gabe’s advice very helpful. I think in the theater world that you very rarely hear that you’re wanted and so having a very successful adult who has chosen theater as their career, tell you that theater is important and that you as an actor in training are important, is very refreshing,” said Erway.