College Board discontinues SAT subject tests and essay as a result of the COVID-19 Pandemic

Hannah Locke, Editor in Chief

The changes to the education system have been innumerable since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic in early 2020. From school being cancelled altogether and administrations scrambling to find solutions, to the virtual learning lessons that have become norm for students all over the world, ages ranging from preschool to university.

Standardized testing seems to be one of the largest challenges for elementary schools and universities alike, hard on both teachers and students.

As a result of these extraordinary, corona-controlled times, the College Board has made a significant change to the requirements of the SAT test that many high school students rely on for college admission.

In a statement made on Jan. 19, the College Board announced that SAT Subject Tests will no longer be available to students in the United States, and they have also discontinued the optional SAT Essay.

SAT Subject Tests are tests separate from the normal SAT and only pertain to specific subjects; for instance, English, history, science, mathematics and languages. High school students are not required to take these Subject Tests but can use these test results to improve their credentials for their applications.

“As students and colleges adapt to new realities and changes to the college admissions process, the College Board is making sure our programs adapt with them. We’re making some changes to reduce demands on students,” the organization’s statement said.