Education for the Arts and Career and Technical Education offer a great in-field learning experience for Kalamazoo youth

The musical theatre EFE kicking off their winter performance with a group number.

Sophie Grover, Arts and Entertainment Editor

With college around the corner for most high school students, some are questioning their career path. Choosing a major can be quite difficult and it can determine the path for the rest of your life. Education for the Arts (EFA) and the Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs through Kalamazoo Regional Educational Service Agency (KRESA) offer a great in-field learning experience.

Senior Kamryn Kimbrough took the musical theatre EFA. 

“This class helped me realize how much I love the arts and also that musical theatre is a passion of mine but not something I want to pursue as a career,” said Kimbrough. 

Kimbrough has decided to major in Art History at Western Michigan University.

Besides helping her pick a college major, Kimbrough says her EFA changed her work ethic. 

“It’s exhausting and it’s very independent so you have to be prepared at all times. Our teacher is very professional and wants the best for you so she’ll push you,” said Kimbrough.

An independent and almost college level class is a great enriching experience, but you have to be willing to put the work in. According to KRESA, “In 2009, EFA was honored to receive a Distinguished Service Award from the Michigan Art Education Association.”

Despite all the hard work, Kimbrough says she does recommend EFEs and CTEs to the lower-classmen thinking about taking these courses.

“It’s amazing! The teacher really prepares you, and it motivates you to be healthier and work harder.”

Junior Koryania Robinson took the Animal Technology CTE this year. Taking such a hands-on class during a pandemic was quite exhausting she says, but despite the challenge our new normal has brought, she definitely would recommend it to younger students

The sign-up window has already ended for the 2021-2022 school year; however there is always the 2022-2023 school year to plan for. Counselors send out an email around February and December linking the signup application, but you can also find the course bulletin, recorded information video and applications at KRESA- Future Ready. If you’re worried about the signup process, don’t be! All you have to do is fill out basic information about yourself and then select the courses you’re interested in, ranking them from most wanted (1) to least wanted (3). There’s a chance you have to write a small essay, but it has a limit of 2000 characters, so nothing to stress about.

KRESA offers a great opportunity for high school students to help them decide what the rest of their life path might look like.