The Loy Norrix theatre department stages a musical about the complexity of growing up

Amy (Bella Ford) practices her technique to be more Zen.

Melissa Preston, Chief Copy Editor

“It’s such a struggle to learn and perform an entire musical in basically just one month, but we did it and it is so gratifying to see it come together,” said senior Kamryn Kimbrough, an actor in the spring musical. 

From May 13 to May 16, a group of 10 Loy Norrix students will perform the musical “The Theory of Relativity,” under the direction of KRESA drama teacher Sandy Davis and musical director Kay Satoh. 

The show will open on Thursday, May 13, at 7 p.m. and close on Sunday, May 16 with a 1 p.m. matinee. There will be limited in-person seating available for all of the performances. Tickets are being sold here right now by the Loy Norrix theatre department. There will also be unlimited online streaming of the performance starting Friday, May 14. You can rent a copy of the show here until Sunday, May 30.

“The Theory of Relativity” is a one act musical about the surprisingly interconnected lives of a group of college students. Each character shares their experiences through a collection of solos, duets and monologues. The storytelling in this musical allows it to touch on heavy topics while still maintaining a light tone. 

Since this musical takes a realistic view of teenagers growing up, it shows a lot of the struggles within relationships. For example, one of the songs is about a toxic boyfriend and near the end it references abortion. A couple other songs explore the relationships kids have with their parents, while also touching on the impact of losing them. 

“Our musical, ‘The Theory of Relativity,’ is about a group of college students who all are moving through life struggling with their problems and discovering new futures and adventures,” said freshman Ellen Terzino, the actor for the character Mira. “Characters face loss, regret and love, but throughout the whole musical all of the characters are connected through hope.”’

“‘The Theory of Relativity’ is much different because it deals with very realistic and relatable stories,” said sophomore Curtis Chapman, who plays the character Adam. 

The realistic nature of the production has helped the actors connect more with their characters, even if the musical is unconventional. From admiring the optimism of their character to relating to the unsurety, these characters have been able to ground the actors in their roles. 

The cast has been practicing online for the last month and are now holding in-person rehearsals as it gets closer to opening night. Due to the small cast, there has been room for a lot for the students to display their own creative freedom.

“There are many opportunities for each person to showcase their individual talents and personalities, which doesn’t happen a lot in other shows,” continued sophomore and actor Yacine Lo, “Since this show delves into the nature of personal relationships, many times we are allowed to just be ourselves instead of an entirely different persona or character.”

Another aspect of this show will be its adaptation to social distancing guidelines. All of the actors will be wearing clear masks during the performance and stay socially distanced on the stage. However, this limitation didn’t stop the actors, but instead it has drawn them closer together. 

“This show is unique because it is so much smaller than any other show that I’ve been a part of,” said Kimbrough, “It’s so much more intimate and even though we have to be 6 feet apart the entire time.”

Due to the social distancing guidelines, the technical aspects of the show have also adapted. A limited number of crew members have been working to prepare costumes and set pieces for the show. During the production they will help fly in backdrops and run lights, along with other technical aspects. 

The stage has a minimalistic set with few props. Most of the atmosphere will be shown with lighting. 

“It’s a very simple stage set up, but a pretty one. It only has one act, and the majority of the cast stays onstage the entire time with just a piano accompaniment,” said actor Bella Ford, a senior at Loy Norrix. “There is also only one prop, and it is a red rose.”