Norrix Students share how working out has improved their lives

Credit: David Henry

Weight lifter Christian Vivanco-Vandenbos doing a deadlift. Christian is one of the best weight lifters at Norrix

David Henry, Social Media Team

Working out is something more and more people have found themselves doing, whether it’s for the new year, needing to lose weight or just to be healthy. Many students have found themselves working out more. Although working out for them has not been easy overall, as it comes with many difficulties that are necessary, such as spending time and money. 

The students at Norrix who workout have spent a large portion of their time and money on getting physically fit. There are a lot of costs that go into it such as buying certain protein filled foods, getting new equipment or just paying for a gym membership. Buying a container of protein can cost up to $30, while gym memberships can cost anywhere from $10 to $30 dollars per month, depending on the gym. 

It may be hard to understand why students put so much time and energy into working out for someone who hasn’t done it before. But many of these students find that the benefits of working out outweigh the struggles.

One of the benefits of lifting out is overall confidence. 

“I’m more confident. I can make friends with people easier, like I’m not as shy because I don’t care what people think anymore,” said senior Christan Vivanco-Vandenbos. 

Lifting weights can boost confidence because getting fit leads to higher self-worth. 

Vivanco-Vandenbos said, “I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished.” 

Vivanco-Vandenbos has been working out regularly for the past few years and has definitely seen its benefits. 

Working out can also build a large sense of community when students come together to support each other, push each other further or just hang out.

“I meet a lot of cool people in the gym including people in this school and people outside of this school,” said senior Duncan Scheele. “I know Christian, Dylan and Carlton who also work out, I met them through weight lifting class.”

Many students who work out agree that lifting weights isn’t the hardest part of working out, it’s the elements in between workout sessions like sticking to a regular and specific diet.

“[Dieting is] pretty annoying, I have to calculate how many calories I need to eat everyday and then twice a week I’ll cook a bunch of food for the rest of the week,” said senior Keyton 

MacInnis is a CrossFit lifter who goes to Norrix. Crossfit is a corporation that uses specific workout programs that work on strength and endurance. 

Other students also tend to agree that one of the most difficult things of the overall workout process is the specific dieting that has to be done. 

“One hundred percent. Dieting, making sure you drink enough water, like a gallon or two a day, and that’s like if you’re an advanced lifter or intermediate, and then making sure you get enough sleep, especially with school,”  said Vivanco-Vandenbos.

Some of the benefits of working out are different for everyone. Some enjoy the extra energy and better mental health, others enjoy growing muscle and some enjoy just the adrenaline of lifting a heavy weight.

Working out as an experience overall is completely different for everyone as well, whether it be their workout routine, their dieting, their goals or just the reasons they work out in general. 

“[My favorite workout] used to be bench: I think it’s deadlift right now cause I feel like a big gorilla when I deadlift,” said senior Thomas Bannon. 

Benching is the movement of pushing up a bar with weights, while deadlifts are pulling a weighted bar from the floor.

Working out, as beneficial as it may be, can be very hard to get into as it is a very different change in lifestyle and is hard to continue to do regularly. People who don’t work out need to find the time, money and energy to start and it can seem overwhelming and nearly impossible to do. 

Students at Norrix who work out recommend starting out small when beginning to work out.

“Just go like once or twice a week and slowly work your way into it, and then build up if you want,” said MacInnis. 

Working out, although as difficult as it may seem, has been very beneficial for the students at Norrix who have experienced it, whether it’s being stronger, looking better or feeling great. Working out for them has been overall a positive experience.