Junior Kaitlyn Albertson learns how to write light cues for a song of her choice. Albertson chooses which lights she wants to turn on at what time.
The technical theater club is open to newcomers
Olivia Nitz, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024

When watching a production, we tend to focus on the actors onstage. We don't usually consider who is shining the spotlight on the main character...

Daniel Ewing, Carter Pickett, Alexander Velo, and Finn BankstonApril 26, 2024

Improv Troupe prepares for upcoming performances for the new year

The+Comedy+Knights+salute+the+team+captain%2C+Amelia+Wood%2C+as+she+introduces+the+days+activities.+These+include+introducing+skits%2C+some+stretches%2C+and+then+a+practice+performance.+
Credit: Ender Ross
The Comedy Knights salute the team captain, Amelia Wood, as she introduces the days activities. These include introducing skits, some stretches, and then a practice performance.

For the second time in Norrix history, the improv troupe, Comedy Knights, will perform in front of other students. They will be improvising brilliant new ways to make students laugh, chuckle, and even snort! 

“I do improv because it gives me a chance to express the silly side of myself that I don’t often get to express,” said senior Joshua Snyder. “And I like commanding an audience.”

Snyder has been doing improv for multiple years now and shares a love of the club with fellow troupe member, senior Frank Jefferies. He came to Norrix just last year from Kalamazoo Central and now participates in the troupe

“Norrix feels a lot more accepting than Central,” said Jefferies. “I used to [do] improv at camp, so I’m happy to have a chance to use these skills!”

Comedy Knights practice for upcoming shows will start soon. Team captain Amelia Woods says practice will be on Wednesdays after school in room J-11. 

“We are going to have shows throughout the year, with the first one after the musical,” said Wood.

“The club is totally student led,” said Wood. “I basically do everything.”

While this year the club roster is finalized, there will be more auditions next year, and with them new chances to act on the big stage in front of a large audience. 

The goal of the performance is to make the audience laugh, and so the skits are mainly comedies, with a certain amount of seriousness to them. One of the skits recently rehearsed was about humans on an alien talk show. Another was about two people discussing philosophy. 

These little sketches are made entirely by Norrix students who act in the troupe, and no outside sources are used. It is entirely and truly a student production. 

While this year’s cast is finalized, students interested in joining the Comedy Knights can watch for auditions next year. 

“We are going to do the same thing as this year, and just have auditions in the fall,” said Wood. 

Right now the dates are not final, but the troupe is hard at work training and practicing for when the time to perform does come around. 

The team is excited to show off their skills for their fellow students. Make sure to send them your support by cheering them on when they make some laughs.

“Be there or be square,” said Snyder.