Sophia Wrzesinski and Flora HarperMarch 21, 2024

Isaac Atkinson and Stan ThomasMarch 21, 2024

Loy Norrix AP Spanish Students Scavenge the School

Photo by Danielle Kahler AP Spanish students working on their scavenger hunt.
Photo by Danielle Kahler
AP Spanish students working on their scavenger hunt. They have prepared for the AP exam in many different ways all year

Hola, como estas! Señora French’s AP Spanish class spoke in all Spanish as they prepared to go on a scavenger hunt throughout the school on May 14th. The class has already taken the AP Spanish exam and, like most AP classes, the students can now breathe a sigh of relief.

“We’re kind of in that project mode,” senior Isabel McMullen said.

The AP Spanish class has been preparing for the AP exam all year. The exam determines whether or not a student receives college credit or not. Typically colleges accept a score of a 3 or above, on a grading scale of 1 through 5. After this exam is taken, students don’t have much to prepare for. So, what does a teacher do with their class during this awkward time period? Senora French organizes a scavenger hunt. In Spanish, of course.

For the scavenger hunt, the students drew pictures on a piece of paper and wrote directions on the back for other groups of students to follow around the school. Of course, there were prizes for students as they completed the Spanish search such as gum, chips, candy, and bubbles.

Señora French has done this activity with her Spanish 1 classes when they are learning to give directions such as left and right and also describing objects.

“I want them to continue to practice their Spanish, and also to get out of the classroom to work on real world skills like team work and problem solving,” said French.

After the AP exam is a good time for many teachers to ease up on the work load and focus on continuing to learn in a less stressful way.

“It’s a more fun way to learn Spanish,” Jade Hubbard, another AP Spanish student said.